Home About Equipment Call Outs Gallery History Get Involved Shop Contact Us
Southport Lifeboat - Registered Charity No. 1146805
Email us
Southport Offshore Rescue Trust
Southport Offshore Rescue Trust is an independent charity that provides a 24-hour lifesaving service around the Southport coast  

News : Walking to Blackpool - again

At 6.30pm Tuesday night (16th August), Southport Lifeboat received an emergency pager alert from Liverpool Coastguard after they had received a distressing mobile phone call from two walkers stranded and lost in mud trying to make their way to Blackpool.

The two quads were tasked to carry out an immediate search of the area following the route taken by the walkers direct from the end of Southport Pier towards Blackpool Tower. Also tasked was the RNLI Lytham inshore rescue boat which searched the numerous channels in the area, they also were able to put crew members ashore to search on foot.

During the search, one of Southport Lifeboat’s quads became stuck in the mud and had to be abandoned. The search continued on foot and the casualties were eventually found by the quad crew between knee and waist deep in mud within a gully at the end of the Penfold Channel approx 2½ out from the causeway at the old sand-winning plant on the Coastal Road commonly known as Rainford’s Track. The Southport Lifeboat quad crew were met by three local fisherman who were able to offer assistance with the casualties.

The casualties were then escorted back towards the shore by one of the fishermen where they were met by the team from the Southport Coastguard Rescue Service in their response vehicle Southport Mobile. They were then taken straight back to the Southport Lifeboat House where they were met by a waiting ambulance crew to make sure that they were not suffering from after-effects of their ordeal. They were later taken to Southport Railway station in order to make their way back to Manchester.

Upon the successful recovery of the two casualties, attention was then given to releasing the stuck quad from the mud. This was done with help of the two remaining fishermen by using equipment carried on the quads for such emergencies such as a compact winch, folding spades, a ground anchor and towing straps.

When the two quads eventually arrived back at the boathouse, they had to be washed off thoroughly before being placed back on station ready for the next call-out. The crew finally left the boathouse at 10.30pm, four hours after the initial alert.


Latest news
  Broken down yacht towed to safety by Southport Lifeboat and Hoylake RNLI
When a 36 foot yacht suffered engine and steering failure off Southport on...
click here for more >>
  Senate begins work on Southport Lifeboat Station
Work has begun on the completion of the new Southport Lifeboat station by S...
click here for more >>
  View the news archive  
© 2021  Southport Lifeboat info@southport-lifeboat.org.uk
Web Design & Content Management System by fat media
  fatmedia - Lancaster's leading website company - proud supporters of Southport Lifeboat